Interested in telling a story at High Stakes Storytelling? Hooray!
What are the requirements?
- the story must be true, about you
- the story must have high stakes
- maximum 8 minute time limit
- meet with me beforehand to go over the story
- attend one show before telling your story
What do you mean by “high stakes”?
The story must be about something important to you. “I got drunk and got lost” is fun to tell friends at a party, but a high stakes story is the one you tell someone special to you, in an intimate coffeeshop.
High stakes stories usually fit one or more of these points:
* high stakes categories: birth, death, war, fear, crime, struggle, bravery, love, kindness, religion, addiction
* something very important is gained
* something very important is lost
* outside events create a crucial struggle
Low stakes stories that do NOT work:
* while travelling I discovered my life at home is nice, or I should change the path I’m on
* stories of personal transformation that take place largely inside the teller’s head
* “I thought ______, but then realized that actually ____ was true”
* stories that are focused almost entirely on the teller with little mention of other humans
Are you serious about the time?
Yes. I will notify you when you have 2 minutes left, and then 1 minute left, and at 8 minutes the host will stand up and thank you for your story.
What happens when I meet with you?
We go over your story together and I work with you on making the strong parts stronger.
Fill out the form below, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.